Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wednesday Post 4

1)  Today I started the profile class, which turned out to be very easy because the saving and loading is handled with Java's serializing.  I then moved on to fix the menu bug, which I did after a while of playing around with layouts and NetBeans swing editor.  It allows me to rapidly prototype and drag and drop elements.  It took a while, because the default free form layout doesn't scale with the windows, which is something I want with this game.  I ended up using a combination of Border and Grid layouts to get my desired look.  After that, I started to work on the profile gamestate, getting the profiles loaded and into the JList element.

2)  Next week I want to finish the profile gamestate completely and make all the drawn graphics scalable.  If I have time, I'll start on the options gamestate.

3) Today I learned that although Java Swing layouts are cumbersome with code, they are a lot easier to work with using a visible GUI.  I also learned that even through freeform seems to be the most flexible, it has numerous problems when working with a scalable window.  It took a lot of trial and error but I'm proud to say that using a combination of the two I have a really rapid system of menu development.  I anticipate that this will be extremely useful when doing the options, pause, and credits screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment