Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wednesday Post 7

1) Today I worked on getting gamepad input to work, which was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I'm using a library called JXInput, which sadly is not cross platform. I went ahead and set up some dummy "slide positions" for my normal gamepad so I could detect successful notes. What I thought would be super difficult really wasn't, and now its just a matter of optimizing the code so that the input is as accurate as possible.

2) As the semester wanes, the goal is to get a lot of the functional elements of the game done, and next semester will be primarily graphics and sound. The main things I need to do are:

Scoring system
Investigation of skinnable swing elements
High Scores/Profile integration
Options Gamestate
Select level gamestate


Over Holiday break I plan to finish up on the controller and get that fully integrated. I believe I can finish up what I have here in the next 4 weeks.

3) At the beginning, when I was switching around with engines, I thought it was a giant waste of time. One good thing that came from it though was I learned how to integrate jar libraries into my classpath and netbeans project, something I had no idea how to do before the engine shuffle. Today, I think this (and a little bit of luck with the documentation) is what I credit the success of JXInput.

No comments:

Post a Comment