Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wednesday Post 8

1) Lets look at the list I made for last week and see what I got done:

Scoring system
I implemented the scoring system, as described in the design document, but have not been able to test it yet. Next time I will test it with the game pad, which is why it resides in the "verify" column of the scrum board.

Investigation of skinnable swing elements
Custom LAF (look and feels) are surprisingly easy to integrate; just adding them to the classpath and a single call from the UIManager. However, for some reason the custom fonts are not working, so I have to investigate that further, which is now a task on the board.

High Scores/Profile integration
This part I started, but realized that I have no architecture for high scores besides the personal bests saved in the profile; these bests don't make sense either because they do not differentiate between difficulty levels. What I need to do is develop a completely new class that interfaces with the profile to not only record personal bests (on both difficulties) but allow comparison between other profiles and other bests. This will be the focus for next time.

Options Gamestate
I could not think of a single option that is absolutely necessary to the game, so I'm just skipping this for now.

Select level gamestate
I got this part all done except for displaying the personal bests, which is part of the problem from above. That's an easy fix though. Also, I can now select the difficulty levels.

2) Next week, I need to develop a new structure for high scores that make them easy to retrieve, sort, and compare. It will need to integrate with the profile. Along with this will be the end of song gamestate, which basically accumulates game data, calculates score, and reports it to the user and to the high score class.

If I have time, I need to write a python script to assist me in creating the song data files. The overall goal is to have a working example song by the end of the semester, with working profiles and high scores.


3) Nothing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment