Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday Post 1

Wednesday posts will have a new format:  1) What I did today 2) What the goals are for next week with time frames 3)  Reflection/Misc/Interesting Code

1) What I did today

Today I continued to nail down the skeleton of how the game's main classes work together.  One of the tasks I undertook was to flesh out the data file loading of the levels and songs.  The SelectLevel game state looks into a directory and loads all the level files it finds, then those levels load the song data, now complete with the sound files.  Now that I had two game states, I added a static function in the main that changes the game state.  Because the main's update function simply calls the current game state's update, all it does is switch the cur_gamestate variable to a newly created gamestate.

One problem I encountered was playing audio.  It seems to be loaded in correctly, and all the correct properties are set, but there is a NullPointerException within the actual engine code.  I signed up for the forum so I can ask some experts.

2)  Next week's goals are as follows:

Disabling the default keymappings and adding my own:
  Disabling all except for escape key:  .5 Hours
  Creating a class for a 2d cursor, mapping input:  2 Hours
  Simple GUI Button:  2.5 Hours
  Official DFA for gamestates:  1 Hour

I anticipate quite a bit of time for the button because it will require a textured quad billboard, rendered text, and ray casting/picking.  The DFA was suggested by Andrew as being a good showcase piece for future employers/celebration of scholarship.

3) Reflection/Misc/Interesting Code

Today I coded straight from 8:00 till 5:00.  To me this felt like a marathon but in retrospect this is just a typical day in the workplace.  My brain feels fried; hopefully I adjust to this sort of thing. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment